The director of the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) has lodged an appeal over the sentence handed out to Winston ‘Winkie’ Irvine last month on the grounds that it may have been “unduly lenient”.
Irvine was sentenced to a two year and six-month custodial sentence on May 20, 2025, after pleading guilty to a range of offences under the Firearms (Northern Ireland) Order 2004.
The 49-year-old’s sentencing had garnered criticism from both unionist and nationalist politicians, with former UUP leader Doug Beattie confirming he had contacted the Director of the PPS over a potential appeal.
More: PPS to consider if Winston Irvine sentence should be appealed
In a statement issued on Friday, the PPS confirmed that director Stephen Herron was planning to refer the sentence to the Court of Appeal.

“While sentencing is a matter for the independent judiciary, the Director of Public Prosecutions does have the power to refer particular sentences to the Court of Appeal on the grounds that they may be unduly lenient,” a spokesperson said.
“An unduly lenient sentence is one that falls outside the range of sentences that a judge, taking into consideration all relevant factors and having regard to sentencing guidance, could reasonably impose.
“The sentence must not just be lenient, but unduly lenient.
“After careful consideration of the sentence handed down in the case of Winston Irvine, including with the benefit of advices from independent Senior Counsel, we have determined that there is a sufficient legal basis to refer the sentence to the Court of Appeal.”
The PPS referral has been lodged with the Court of Appeal.
- ‘Insufficient evidence’ to prosecute Winston ‘Winkie’ Irvine with terror offences after weapons find, PPS saysOpens in new window
- Loyalist Winston ‘Winkie’ Irvine handed prison sentence for firearms offencesOpens in new window
- PPS to consider if Winston Irvine sentence should be appealedOpens in new window
A spokesperson for the prosecution service added that consideration was also given to the sentence handed down to Irvine’s co-accused, Adam Robinson Workman (54), who was sentenced to five years imprisonment.
They said that after “careful consideration”, it was determined there was “no legal basis” to refer his sentence as potentially unduly lenient.
The pair were sentenced on a number of firearm offences relating to an incident in June 2022, when police found arms and ammunition in Irvine’s vehicle.
Irvine’s sentencing will now be reviewed by the Court of Appeal, which will either decide to uphold the existing sentence or replace it with one it considers more appropriate.





